Find the two words which describe anger.
A. anxious B. livid C. thrilled D. cross
22. What is the meaning of this sentence? I loathe the food they serve in our canteen.
A. I enjoy the canteen food.
B. I avoid the canteen food.
C. I hate the canteen food.
23. Which verb describes the way someone might speak if they were nervous, for example, during an important job interview?
A. shout B. stammer C. murmur D. mutter
24. All these verbs describe ways of touching. Which ones are gentle?
A. stroke B. grab C. tap D. snatch
25. Which one of these words is not connected with eating?
A. swallow B. chew C. suck D. snore E. lick
26. Which animal slithers?
A. a fish B. a butterfly C. a snake D. a bird
27. Choose the best reaction, if someone says to you "He was dressed up like a dog’s dinner at the leaving party."
A. " Was it a fancy dress party?" B. " He does not have good dress sense!" C. "Oh, he always wears showy clothes."
28. Which one of these idioms about talk refers to being brief ?
A. wrap up the discussion B. speak your mind
C. be long-winded D. put it in a nutshell
29. Which situation would this proverb refer to? When the cat’s away, the mice will play.
A. Parents whose children have gone on a school holiday.
B. Teenagers having a party in their house while their parents are not there.
C. Household pets which have found a way to get into the food cupboard.
30. Find the best answer to this comment: Well, you don’t look very surprised to see me!
A. "I took it for granted that you would come."
B. "You took my breath away."
C. "I took advantage of your being away."
31. In a restaurant, an American friend says to her husband: "Do you have my purse Harry? I need to wash up." Which of these things does the friend want to do?
A. buy something B. wash her hands
C. get her handbag D. wash the dishes
32. Here are some slang (very colloquial) words. They all mean ‘money’, except for one word. Find the odd one out.
A. dough B. dosh C. nick D. loot
33. What does this notice mean? No admission to unaccompanied minors.
A. You cannot enter if you work in a mine.
B. If you are under 18, an adult must be with you.
C. You can come in if you are with an accompanist.